Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1979 308 gt4 major service

Quote Originally Posted by Made-in-Italy View Post
    "Lazer straight..... " Howling LOL !!!
    Well, it is
    The problem is not the car.....it's the biscuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    Rock,

The car looks amazing!

Did you go with a "2-stage paint process", and did you strip it to bare metal first?

What prep-work is required for re-dying the interior (ie: sanding the leather)?

Thank you!
    Hello Lorenzo

I painted the car with PPG enviro base and their 750 clear coat, the shine should last forever. We did not strip the entire paint, only where needed to repair corrosion and dings. The entire car was primeed with PPG primer and it was given one coat of PPg sealer before the base coat was applied. Three coats of base and three coats of clear

The interior was removed and all the seats and panels were dis assembled. The leather was cleaned and stripped of the old dye, then resprayed with water based dye.

Rock
    rocksauto.ca

Rock,

Thank you for the paint details!

Is the "like new fuel pump" in the pictures above unique to 1979 or is it a "new and improved" replacement?

On a side note, there is allot of chatter about carb jetting to deal with today's gasoline.

What camp are you in? For example when you tune carbs would you consider upsizing the idle jets to improve performance below 3000 rpm?

Hello Lorenzo

That's a photo of the original fuel filter housing, it was refinsihed when we performed the major service last month (installing a new fuel filter at the same time). We installed a decal of the original script. The fuel pump has also been replaced several years ago.

We have been rejetting carbs for the past 25 years, but you'll need a gas analyzer to make sure the changes you make are correct. Weber makes the best carbs on this planet and when set correctly they will run properly for years.
    Gasoline use to have lead and about thirty years ago it was removed for enviromental reasons. The fuel has not been the same since so all this talk about fuel now is just like some guy discovering america yesterday.
    just my two cents
    rocksauto.ca

Rock,

Is the "like new fuel pump" in the pictures above unique to 1979 or is it a "new and improved" replacement?

On a side note, there is allot of chatter about carb jetting to deal with today's gasoline.

What camp are you in? For example when you tune carbs would you consider upsizing the idle jets to improve performance below 3000 rpm?
    thanks for the kind words about the paint, thats our 15k paint work and it will hold its own compared to more expensive jobs (it would fit in on the show field at cavallino)
    rocksauto.ca

Rock,

I use premium shell since 2007 , to date have not had any running issues with my carbs.

Whatever my car has is perfectly fine from idle to red line with today's gas.
    The problem is not the car.....it's the biscuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I use premium shell since 2007 , to date have not had any running issues with my carbs.

Whatever my car has is perfectly fine from idle to red line with today's gas.
    did you have these carbs rebuilt or were they done before your ownership
    rocksauto.ca

Wow, looks like excellent work! If I hit it big this weekend I'm coming up with a briefcase full of cash to take it off your hands. I've had a fetish for these Bertone beauties since a friend of mine's step brother had one back in the early '90s. I hope you find the right owner to care for this beaut as I feel these could be the next Ferrari to pop.

Quote Originally Posted by mkegreg View Post
    Wow, looks like excellent work! If I hit it big this weekend I'm coming up with a briefcase full of cash to take it off your hands. I've had a fetish for these Bertone beauties since a friend of mine's step brother had one back in the early '90s. I hope you find the right owner to care for this beaut as I feel these could be the next Ferrari to pop.
    thanks MK, these cars are great driving cars and with the added room inside its quite usable. If your ever in TO drop in to say hello

cheers
    rocksauto.ca

Stunning car! Fantastic workmanship! And this colour combo totally transforms a design that is still, to this day, years ahead of its time. People are finally starting to "get it". To those who understand design, the GT4 is an exceptional piece of design AND engineering, and, in its own way, it exists at the same exceptional visionary level as the highly regarded 246 Dino and many of the great Ferraris.

In the day it was shunned because it was just too far "out there", "too different", "not a Ferrari". Many of the worlds greatest and most valuable art treasures were themselves originally shunned because they were "different". Great design will always find its way into the forefront of the imagination of enthusiasts and the GT4 is no different because it is an outstanding example of "Great" design.